Plantain Bread is another yummy breakfast recipe you can use those overripe plantains for.
It's awesome for breakfast, washed down with hot cup of tea.
Plantain bread ingredient
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 over ripe plantains
- 125g (1 stick) butter
- 3 eggs⅛ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tin (160 mls, ½ cup) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup roasted groundnuts (peanuts)
Tools You'll Need to Bake the Plantain Bread
Below are the minimal tools you'll need to bake the plantain bread:
An oven with a top and down heating capability is best.
Or a big pot.Measuring cups or kitchen scaleSieve or SifterEgg Whisk.BowlsSpatulasBread pan
What you should know about the Plantain Bread Ingredients
1. Use overripe plantains but not rotten ones.
2. The eggs should be at room temperature.
Which means that before you make the plantain bread, bring the eggs out of the fridge long before you will make the cake. If it is winter where you live, bring them out the night before.
3. Baking soda is not the same as baking powder.
You can buy baking soda where they sell baking powder.
Instructions for making the Plantain Bread
1. Pour the evaporated milk in a cup and warm it up a little bit, about 30 seconds in the microwave oven.
2. Add the yeast to the milk, stir and set the mixture aside.
3. Peel and mash the plantains either with a fork or with a potato masher till as smooth as possible. Set aside.
4. Whisk the eggs and set aside.
5. Melt the butter.
6. In a dry bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt and baking soda.
7. Add the milk and yeast mixture, the melted butter and the mashed plantains and mix.
8. Add half of the roasted grounduts (peanuts), crushing it by hand as you add. Mix very well.
9. Pour into a bread pan and sprinkle the remaining groundnuts on top.
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg Celsius (350F) for 40 minutes. You can also use a pot to bake this if you don't have an oven.
1. The plantain bread is done when a wooden skewer inserted into the bread comes out clean.
The bread also springs back when you press it down.
2. Place it on a rack for about 5 minutes then bring it out of the pan.
3. Lay on the rack till it has cooled down to a comfortable temperature.
4. Slice and enjoy!
More plantain recipes : https://nigeriafoodrecipes.com/plantain-recipe