Isaac Chukwuma
· Times read 70

Antoine Griezman snubs Atletico Madrid training amid proposed Barcelona transfer

Antoine Griezman snubs Atletico Madrid training amid proposed Barcelona transfer
Antoine Griezmann has followed through with his threat of not showing up for Atletico Madrid training as his feud with the club continues.
Griezmann confirmed earlier this summer that he would be leaving Atletico and is expected to join
Barcelona .
But the situation has turned sour with Atletico releasing a statement registering their 'deepest disgust' at both Barca and Griezmann for the way they have conducted themselves.
And they said they would expect Griezmann to return for pre-season training on Sunday, as per the terms of his contract in the Spanish capital.
"On May 14 Antoine Griezmann told Miguel Angel Gil, Diego Simeone and Andrea Berta of his decision to leave the club at the end of the season," the statement read.
"In the days following that meeting Atletico were made aware that Barcelona and the player had reached a deal back in March, just after the second leg of our Champions League game against Juventus , and that they had been negotiating the terms of the deal since mid-February."
"With regards to President Bartomeu's declarations today, we want to make clear that it is true a meeting took place yesterday between Miguel Angel Gil and Barcelona CEO Oscar Grau, at Barcelona's request; and that in said meeting Mr Grau made known his intention to, once the release clause in Antoine Griezmann's contract has been modified from €200million to €120 million, ask for a delay in the payment of the above amount in the clause, valid from July 1.
"Obviously Atletico Madrid's answer was negative, understanding that both Barcelona and the player have disrespected Atletico Madrid and all their fans.
"As a consequence, today Atletico Madid have ordered the player, his sister in her capacity as his agent and his lawyer, that Antoine Griezmann must present himself on Sunday at the club to begin pre-season with the rest of his team-mates, in compliance with his contractual obligations.
"By way of this statement Atletico Madrid wish to express their deepest disgust at the behaviour of both parties, especially Barcelona, for having induced a player to break his contract with Atletico Madrid at a point in the season where the club was fighting not just for the Champions League against Juventus, but also La Liga itself against none other than Barcelona, something that we consider contravenes the established negotiation periods with players and distorts the basic rules that ensure the integrity of all sporting competition, as well as causing enormous damage to our club and our millions of fans."
Atletico could now fine Griezmann for his lack of discipline given he is still their player as no-one has paid the €120million release clause in his contract.
Barca are still adamant they will strike the deal and will continue to negotiate in the hope they can pay the transfer fee in installments.
Atletico, meanwhile, have given new signing Joao Felix the squad number 7, previously worn by Griezmann.
Did you like this article?
1 0

You need an account to vote on this article. Create a new account over here
Barcelona latest news and highlights.


Do you want to write blogs?

Create a free account to start writing blogs immediatly.

Sign up now!
Or login to your account
Login
Do you want to read blogs?

Subscribe to our newsletter to read the best blogs Nobedad has to offer.


Related articles

Comments
You need an account to comment on this article. Create a new account over here.
There are no comments yet..